Tuesday, April 9, 2013

put on a happy face...










zanita zanita






































 
 
you know how they say a smile is contagious. well it actually is. scientists have discovered something called mirror neurons, which start to explain why when watching the below video i felt that sudden rush and rise in my chest, welling of tears in my eyes and that catch of breath in my throat. what i understand from my cognition textbook is is that, mirror neurons activate through actions or emotions, so when i witness your joy or sadness my brain lights up as if that joy or sadness had happened to me directly. within my brain there is no distinction between me and you.  I feel what you feel not as an observer but as an active participant. 

Scientists have different theories about why this happens; some say it's learning new skills by imitation or the neural basis for emotions but i like to believe in the theory that mirror neurons prove our capacity for compassion, that we are biologically programmed to connect with one another.  mirror neurons are an emotional mexican wave that rides by the ethos of what goes around comes back around! so send out some love people!
 
 
 


I first saw this video during the I AM documentary (available on iTunes or FOXTEL), which explores a lot more about what's right with our humanity and even suggests that it may not  be just our neurons that are interconnected but also our hearts...  

No comments:

Post a Comment